Friday, November 21, 2008

Experimenting with Paintstiks


I recently purchased some Shiva Oil Paintstks. These are oil paint in solid form, and can be used on both fabric and paper. They come (as the name would imply) in stick form. You simply peel off the outer layer and either paint directly with them, or use them with a stencil brush. In this case, I used a Dreamweaver stencil and first dry embossed the image. It's been a while since I've done any of that, and part of the reason is that I felt in the past it was a little restrictive, since you needed paper that was light enough to see through to the stencil. Now that I've discovered the radiant rains, that's a problem easily solved - I sprayed the paper after I'd finished stenciling. Then I turned my paper over, and placed the stencil over the embossed image again. Not being the smartest sometimes, it took me a while to figure I needed to flip the stencil over to make it line up again. But, once I got that done, I scribbled some gold painstik onto my craft sheet (that way you don't waste any paint since it doesn't absorb) and used a stencil brush to apply it to my embossed design. The paint can take up to 24 hours to dry completely, but this seemed ready a lot sooner. I used a little gold embossing power on the edges to get a border.


No comments:

A special thanks to Trish Bee and all the Art Venture members. Thanks so much for encouraging, prodding, and pushing those of us who have a little trouble leaving the comfort of our usual zones into new and ever more exciting artistic endeavors.